Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Confession #18: I need to see Your blueprint.

If you've ever seen the "Shoot Christians Say" YouTube video by Tripp and Tyler, you recognize the cliche phrase, "I'm just such a words guy." Well I'm definitely a words girl. I don't know if it's my journalist coming out, or if it's part of being such a right brain. Regardless, it's been that way for years now. And when I get into emotional ruts, and I can't seem to put my own thoughts into words, I look for someone else to do the job for me. I google quotes. Lame, I know, but it's my "thing" -- it's my go-to.

Sunday night, I attended small group with a few of my friends from Veritas. We're studying Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper (which has introduced even more stress into my life as I question what the heck I'm doing when I graduate in three years -- but that's a topic for another day). One of the study questions our leaders asked was whether we considered ourselves logical or emotional. Everyone in the room unanimously agreed that I fit into the emotional category. I couldn't complain, though, because they were right. I am an emotional person. On a deeper level, the how's and why's of that character feature are confusing and complex. But, simply put, I am emotionally-driven, and it's obvious to anyone who spends any amount of time in my presence.


After that question, I started wondering whether me being emotional is a good or bad thing. That sounds like an awful thing to question, and I don't mean that I'm looking to change that quality. I don't think I ever could, even if I wanted to. But there are pros and cons that go along with being emotional. My inability to cope with disappointment is a con, while the tangible love I have for the people in my life is a plus. I could go on and on with this list. But over the past 48 hours, I've been hammering my brain with negatives. How being emotional has caused me more stress than necessary, especially recently. How being emotional has caused me heartbreak in an instant. How being emotional drives me to dive into relationships with people quickly and heavily and I'm left feeling empty when that leap of faith isn't returned.


Today, I am in one of those emotional ruts where I need someone else's words to explain my thoughts. So, like many times before, C.S. Lewis was there to untangle my mess of a mind.



“Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself.” - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

According to C.S. Lewis, God is building His home in my heart. He's restructuring the floor plan and knocking down some walls and painting a ceiling or two. He's deep-cleaning the dirty kitchen and tearing up the stained carpet. He's taking out all of that filth, all of that rust, all of that sin, and He's replacing it with beautiful color palettes and modern fixtures. I can't imagine anything else making my heart so homey besides the presence of the Holy Spirit. And that's a beautiful revelation.


But I don't understand why each of these individual changes are happening. When does he want to knock down that wall? Why does he want to replace that window? What's he going to do with the new flooring? What's the purpose for all of this?


I look at the blueprint for my Heart House as an illustration of my inner-most traits. But there's a disconnect between where I see the plan going and what God intends to do with it -- which is expected! Ephesians 3:20 tells us that God "is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine." After all, who are we to assume that God's plan doesn't amount to our happiness? He knows us better than anyone else. He's got this.


But as I type these words, as I reassure all of you that God's plan is perfect in His grace, I have trouble believing it myself. I have trouble believing that my fragile right brain and frail emotional state could possibly work out to glorify the Lord. How the heck am I going to make my Daddy proud with a heart that can't even hold itself together for more than a few hours?


I don't doubt God's plan. I believe that the finish line is going to be indescribably righteous -- pun intended. But I just can't see the steps lining up. I can't see this heart doing great things. It's weak and unsustainable and it carries every little event as a couple of pounds on the scale. The deep connections with friends and family are wonderful -- but sometimes I feel like all of this passion and all of this love just weighs me down. There aren't enough outlets in this world to alleviate the burden of my emotions.


I'm sitting here trying to lay this out plainly for you, but I can't. I can't fully explain what's happening in my head and how ridiculously heavy my heart has felt over the past 48 hours. Is that even possible? Can your heart feel like it's actually gained some sort of weight simply due to emotional distress? Because it's happening. It's happening to me right now and I can't get it to stop. 


My passion for life is great for other people. I have friends who remind me on a regular basis that they always feel loved and cherished through our friendship, and I'm so incredibly glad that that's the case. I love that my love is obvious and honest and there.


But why can't I see this character trait, this reliance on emotion, as a positive? When I give this topic any thought, there's a grey cloud of doubt and hatred and worry lingering in my mind.


I do need to clarify something, though: I love opening my heart. I love that I have absolutely no problem letting people in. There are certain people in my life that hold a special place in my heart. My family, friends, mentors, Granny's House kiddos...they're my lifeline. My passion for those people surpasses anything else.


I've done Granny's House for over a year now, but these past four weeks have been much more intense. The kids remember me; they call me by my name. They genuinely do not want me to leave. They want me to go to school with them. They want me to love on them. And I do. I love on them a lot, as much as I possibly can in that two-hour period, because who knows what happens when they step foot into their homes again after Granny's House ends for the day. It's a connection that I can't get with any other age group. It's incomparable, unique, unmatched. I wouldn't trade it for the world and I am insanely grateful that God placed Granny's House in my life. Columbia is home to me because of that ministry.


I always enjoy bringing new people into the environment, opening my heart and letting them in. It's great for both the new volunteers and the kiddos, but it weighs heavily on my heart as an observer.


When someone comes into that space, onto that playground, into such a vulnerable and tender part of my life, and when they passionately and selflessly devote their heart and soul to these kids, and fall in love with these precious faces, I mean it when I say that my heart is overcome with emotion. Once they're running around the playground with all of my little ones, I feel like our connection intensifies as they move into a new space in my heart, a space that is dark and quiet and personal. It's vulnerable.


Kids see people and life and experiences in a different light than adults. I mean, we all have our own eyes, our own lenses. But when I witness these young souls see my friends in their own shade of light, it's unexplainable. It's an out of body experience. I get to watch someone else fall in love with these kids. I get to watch someone else fall in love with Jenny, with Beatrice and Joshua, with Giselle and Eli and Draeden. I get to observe someone else's connection with such a precious individual.


Children love unconditionally. They love without judgment, without malice, without bitterness. They love like Jesus loves. So, naturally, when I witness these young ones loving on my friends like Jesus does, I want nothing more than to mimic that love, to see my friends in the eyes of a child. I want to love them without judgment, without malice, without bitterness. I want to love my friends in the ways of the Father and His Son.


It's an experience that is unmatched. It's an intense adoration and I enjoy growing in that friendship because of that experience. Sometimes, though, the intensity is overwhelming. It's too much for my tender heart to handle. There's too much joy and elation and gratefulness and pride and excitement and love for such a small space. My heart is overwhelmed.


It's not negative or positive. It doesn't fall on one specific side of the spectrum -- it's just intense. There really isn't another word for it. And maybe I'm not making sense, maybe none of this is logical or easily understood for you as a reader. But maybe, by reading this and seeing the complexity of it all, you can begin to understand what my heart is going through on a daily basis.


Simple experiences aren't simple for me. They're light in weight when you're looking from the outside in. But as my heart looks outward, it feels heavy. Simple experiences are more complex, longer-lasting. There's more time involved, more emotion, more joy and more pain.


Alix being emotionally driven is great for everyone else. But for Alix, it's exhausting.


Last night, I laid in bed and wept. I tried to speak to the Lord and form words with my clouded mind, but it was incredibly difficult. At one point I felt like I was just yelling at Him due to a lack of patience.


Why did You make me like this?

Why am I not strong enough?
Why do things affect me so heavily?
Why do I develop passions so quickly?
What is the purpose of this heart and why does it hurt me so much?
Lord, what are You going to do with me?

I don't want to yell at God. I don't like snapping at Him. But I reached a wall last night where I truly did not know how else to express my brokenness and alleviate my heavy heart. If I'm being honest here, I'm angry with God. I'm angry with my Daddy because I feel like I've been let down. I feel I'm completely in the dark here. I'm asking questions and getting absolutely nowhere.


I just want some clarity. I want to see the blueprint of this Heart House that God is constructing. I want to know that my heart is the way it is for a reason. I want to know that God sees me laying here, helpless and confused and hurting, and has an answer. I want to know that this tenderness and sensitivity resides in my soul for a purpose.


I'm not sure how much more this heart can handle.

4 comments:

  1. You will know in due time. God has a tender heart and He is shaping your heart like His. It hurts to be vulnerable like He has made Himself to be. He is strong enough to bear it, but you are not. The good news is that His strength is made perfect in weakness. Let Him be your strength. God bless you cuz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, cousin. I've never thought about it that way -- that my heart and His heart share a tenderness, but HE is the source of all strength. My mind has been stirring over that idea all day and it has already brought me a lot of comfort!! I love you so much and I'm so appreciative of your support. You're the best.

      Delete
  2. WOW, first of all thanks for the sheer vulnerability of this post. You are a brave girl. Alix, not to long ago, I did a personality assessment at a leadership thing at church. The results were so eye opening and the paperwork had explanations of both the strengths and weaknesses. I found it so healing just for the simple fact that some of my personality traits that I thought were weaknesses, I suddenly could see how God was using them in my life. For example, one of the weaknesses was because I am tender hearted, I easily get offended. I found an ability to give myself grace but also it helps me to be more diligent to guard my heart. It helped to know that even though there were challenges, all of who I am is part of His design. In closing, I felt like through that and other recent experiences, He was affirming my identity. I don't know if this is encouraging you, but I feel confident that every aspect of who He has made you to be is vital. Just keep trusting Him, just keep crying out to Him. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, I would love to know who you are, "Unknown" :) Thank you for the sweet words and the compliments. I definitely need to work on my ability to guard my heart and better understand its tendencies. You have definitely encouraged me, and I am going to work to trust Him more and more, in every instant. YOU are awesome!!

      Delete